Child Custody Situations Can Change

There are few things more difficult in life to go through than a divorce. It becomes even more difficult and emotional when children are involved. Major decisions have to be made about the children and the best outcome for the child needs to be reached. Decisions over legal and physical custody are hard to make. Sometimes, it may become necessary to modify child custody arrangements after a divorce is finalized. Often, lifestyle changes force one of the parents back to court to ensure their child is receiving proper treatment and care.

If you find yourself in a situation where you need to petition the court for a modification in your child’s custody, you may need a child custody attorney in Salt Lake City, Utah. At The Ault Firm, our family law attorneys are ready to assist you.

Why Would Modifications Be Needed?

While many people think divorce settlements are final, there are cases in which it would be appropriate to petition the court for a child custody modification. After a divorce, both spouses are sure to go through many lifestyle changes. Some of those may be major. While it is unfortunate, sometimes these changes aren’t what is best for the child involved.

Abusive Situations

There could be nothing worse than finding out that a parent who has sole or joint custody is abusing their child. If this happens, the other parent needs to step in, first with a report to the police and social services, and then with the court.

If a parent who has custody over a child becomes heavily involved with alcohol, or is using drugs, this is not a safe environment for the child. Conversely, if the custodial parent is allowing the child to use alcohol or drugs, the court may need to step in.

Sometimes, a parent who has custody is charged and convicted of a crime.

All of these cases are reasons that a parent could petition the court for a modification of child custody.

Denial of Visitation

Sometimes a parent who has sole custody of a child does not abide by a court ordered visitation schedule. This is wrong and damaging to the child. It is in the best interest of the child to have both parents in their life when possible, and that is why courts grant visitation. If you have been denied visitation by your former spouse, you have rights.

Also, if you have joint custody of your child, but your former spouse is not allowing you the time the court has ordered, you can petition the court for a custody modification.

Leaving Without Notice

Sometimes a former spouse will need to relocate, whether it is because they got a new job or have remarried. They still have to follow state law with regards to notifying the other parents. If one parent relocates more than 150 miles away from their former spouse, they must give a 60-day advance notice. If the non-custodial parent believes the move is not in the child’s best interest, they can petition the court for custody modifications.

What To Do

If you find yourself in a situation where you think a modification is needed to a child custody arrangement, you may need a child custody attorney in Salt Lake City. As a parent, you have rights over your child and we recognize that modifications may be needed after a divorce is finalized. The Ault Firm can help through the modification process. You can contact us by clicking here or calling 801-539-9000.