There are few experiences more rewarding than being a parent. While not every couple is able to have children of their own, there are countless children throughout Utah that deserve a loving home. However, adoption in Utah can sometimes get complicated. Because most people are unfamiliar with Utah family law, it is important to have a Salt Lake City adoption attorney on your side that can help navigate through the legal process. My name is Christopher M. Ault and I am an experienced family law attorney in Salt Lake City. There are several different types of adoptions in Utah. Each has its own unique set of laws. The legal team at The Ault Firm is committed to helping clients find effective solutions for adoption.
Types of Adoption in Utah
There three general types of adoptions in Utah. They can be conducted privately, through the Department of Human Services or through a national program. Because it process is very complex, it is essential to have an experienced Salt Lake City adoption lawyer on your side.
- Private Adoptions: These are among the most common types of adoption in Utah. They involve the birth mother and the adoptive parents. Although these adoptions happen frequently, it is important to understand they are not addressed specifically within Utah codes. This can make the process extremely complicated–especially if the birthmother reconsiders after handing over her parental rights to the adoptive parents. Each of these adoptions will require a thorough investigation from a social service professional and then approved by the court.
- Human Department of Services: A Salt Lake City adoption attorney can help a client file a petition with the Department of Services. The HDS is also an important resource that can provide forms and information about the adoption process.
- Federal Adoption Programs: There are several national adoption programs available to prospective parents in Salt Lake City and throughout Utah. Federal programs, provide an effective solution to help foster children find permanent homes and loving parents.
How a Salt Lake City Adoption Attorney Can Help
As a father of three children, there is no greater joy than being a parent. As a Salt Lake City adoption attorney, I am committed to helping responsible clients earn the opportunity to realize their dreams of parenthood. However, adoption involves more than just providing a child with a home. Some adoptions may even involve an adult, such as a grandparent or other relatives. Utah law does not allow adoption lawyers to provide matching services. The Ault Firm represents and provides family law advisement for birth parents, adoption agencies and adoptive families for the following:
- Contested adoptions
- Interstate adoptions
- International adoptions
- Birth parent representation
- Birth parent relinquishment
- Grandparent or other relative adoptions
- Foster care adoptions